I just bought one those :
http://www.lowes.com/pd_23564-14488-SBQ-3998-CU_0__?productId=3318292  For
less than 10 bucks @ Home Depot

It's impressively made for being this cheap.  Has a nice machined aluminum
clamp and machined aluminum (anodized red) for the cap with a built-in
waterproof switch.

I clamp it above the boom on my split backstay and it illuminates the
whole cockpit very nicely.  It's brash  / very bright led's if you stare
at it directly but since it's mounted about 7 feet up on the backstay by
the time the light gets to the cockpit surface It makes a nice soft glow
off the gelcoat.

One of my buddies installed those
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Brinkmann-Premium-Grill-Light-812-1087-S/204398701
 on either side of his rear pulpit, he says they provide excellent
lighting and you don't look at the LED directly they are mounted low..

There are literally hundreds of different styles and most for less than 20
bucks..   That's one boat item you can get that is refreshingly nice for
little money

-Francois
1990 34+ "Take Five"
Lake Lanier, GA