Funny timing.
Check out bad elf GPS PRO, or Garmin GLO, Bluetooth GPS.  These are wireless
GPS devices to which You can connect 5 Bluetooth devices concurrently, bring it
with you, etc.

I had been using my 'work' iPad Air (3G) and navionics, worked great, but I
purchased another iPad Air (wifi only) and will pick up the Garmin GLO to
provide wireless chart plotting.  Get a good case....  'Life proof ' was the
most recommended.

Working on next phase now, devicenet (nmea2000/seatalkng) network, with wifi on
board GPS receiver, with PC OR tablet through serial and wifi gateway to
devicenet bus.  This will allow me to combine tablet based chart plotter
display and functionality with all other instruments and autopilot, for a
fraction of the cost of a big name, one brand system.  I have a PC running
Linux/navigatrix, and openCPN, and will duplicate this in a tablet or two once
it's working.  Sounds complicated but I don't think it will be.  I was lucky to
have purchased a boat that was essentially original in the electronics dept,
and even luckier to have a neighbour at the marina who knows this stuff!

Sent from my iPhone