Someone once advised me never to rely on the loops in the signal flags to
recover the halyard. I always use a messenger line attached directly to the
shackle "just in case".

For years I used two halyards - one for bow and one for stern - then saw some
folks at Stamford YC use a single halyard - boy it's so much easier

--
Jonathan
Indigo C&C 35III