Mark

There is no cure for birth and death save to enjoy the interval.
  - George Santayana
On 2015-10-19 4:45 PM, Marek Dziedzic via CnC-List wrote:
Mark,

if you find an autopilot for under $1000, let me know. Defender had (still has?) a boat show special, but even with their discounts, when you add the conversion to CAD, it is a lot of money. Not to mention that if you buy at Binnacle you have someone local to yell at, if anything goes wrong.

I don’t think Garmin has a wheel option; they are all (?) suing a linear drive (I think).

Marek

Sent: Monday, October 19, 2015 3:27 PM
Subject: Re: Stus-List Sale Tools

Steve,
I'm interested to know how it works out.
I could use new instruments (mine are just original depth and speed from 1986) - plus I've been hankering for a autopilot.
That site is selling a Raymarine SPX-5 Wheelpilot for $675 (vs $1900 for a EV-100 kit from Binnacle).  http://www.sale-tools.com/products/Raymarine-SPX%252d5-Wheelpilot-Pack-with-p70.html

From what I can find the SPX-5 is ~7yrs old.  Any thoughts from the group on the value of newer technology? I could add the ST60 pack for $659 (rather than $1800 for a current set). and still spend less than I was thinking for just an autopilot. -- I'm guessing it's smarter to match the Raymarine autopilot with the Raymarine instruments rather than the Garmin.

Both use the NMEA2000 and SeaTalk - so they should work together and with other gear.

Any thoughts?  If it's just older gear at a good price then might be a good deal...... Ok  - A little searching for reviews looks like the site is bogus.
Just for interest I tried entering an order using fake address etc - they want a bank transfer sent - do not accept credit cards or even PayPal!

Shoot.  Enough to get my hopes up.