> An A4 will usually survive getting flooded. Diesels not so much…

I was able to recover from a hydrolocked diesel on a 1993 delivery from Hawaii
to Seattle by removing the injectors and using compression to blow out the sea
water.  We changed the lube oil as some sea water made it into the lube system
then re-started. The process took about 30 hours so the cylinders did not have
much time to corrode.  We may have shot WD40 or something similar into the
cylinders after blowing out the water but the exact details are a bit foggy
now.  As we were 3 days out of Honolulu we made do with resources onboard.

There were many other deferred maintenance issues with that diesel engine (a
Volvo) prior to the hydrolock.  Once the boat was back in Seattle the new owner
had the engine rebuilt.  The rebuilt Volvo engine made at least one more So Pac
trip plus at least 5 years of PNW cruising before the current owner replaced it
with a turbo Yanmar.

On a 1979 C&C 39 delivery between Hawaii and Seattle an A4 engine froze up from
salt water being shot into the carburetor from a raw water hose leak.  We
pulled the cylinder head and tried all sorts of lube and violence to un-freeze
the pistons to no avail.  As we were in the NE Pacific high it was a slow sail
back which ended up taking 29 days.  The A4 was rebuilt and worked well for
another 3 years before the owner converted to a diesel.

Martin DeYoung
Calypso
1971 C&C 43
Seattle