My father-in-law toasted an engine owing to the pin hole oil pan leak issue.
That plus he did not check the oil often enough.  The engine was +-35 yrs. old
in a 80 yr. old classic wood powerboat.

Most engine manufacturers allow for the possibility of a small amount of lube
oil consumption being “normal”.  Calypso’s 20 yr. old 2,000 hour 4-108 uses
about ½ quart every 40 hours and leaks another ½ quart in the same time.  The
leakage went up when I mistakenly used Delo 400 instead of the intended Delo
100.  The difference seems to be the % of detergent with the 400 formulated for
engines with turbochargers.  The extra detergent cleaned out all the goo that
keeps the Perkins leaks to a minimum.

To reduce the risk of pin hole in the oil pan I change the oil after each
season to reduce the amount of combustion related acids in the oil.  With salts
from the outside and acids in the oil on the inside old oil pans don’t stand a
chance.

The Perkins 4-108 also needs to have its valve cover bolts tightened from time
to time.  That oil leak often shows first down the back of the cylinder head.

Martin DeYoung
Calypso
1971 C&C 43
Seattle