Hi Charles,

It depends on the setup and local conditions. Per my lake's PHRF committee
you cannot carry both a asym and sym spin on the same boat.. Period.   So
you have to choose wisely.  None of the racer cruisers guys use the Asym
but a couple of the boats capable of planing do. There's probably a reason
for that as there are several very experienced crews / skippers in the
racer cruiser ranks.

While crewing on my friend's boat we tried a race with his asym and it was
more of a handful than it appears.  For cruising it's straightforward as
you are not constantly jibing. For racing however jibing it without a
furler requires impeccable timing between the wheel and the crew crossing
the sail forward of the forestay, especially when the breeze picks-up.. If
you intend to use it again shortly after a douse you have to raise it on
the same side you brought it down or else unclip / un-fasten the sheets or
figure a way to get the right sheet around the forestay to act as clew
with the tack sheet clear of everything, stuff like that.

All that can be handled with the right skills. But for a place with shifty
winds racing on short courses requiring multiple jibes it's a lot of work
which it was supposed to minimize in the first place.

All that said I'm not eliminating the possibility of a sprit appearing on
my boat at some point in the future.  But if I do, I will definitely
spring for a furler to alleviate the jibing / handling issues related to
the short courses I run and my typically limited crew.

Eric Baumes (On the list) has a selden sprit kit / asym (No furler /
experienced crew ) on his 34/36+ and really likes it / has had good racing
success with it.  I would contact him directly to get his point of view.

Here's how Eric installed it on his boat:
http://svheesoo.com/content/bowsprint-retro-fit-project

-Francois Rivard
1990 34+ "Take Five"
Lake Lanier, GA