I am replacing depth, speed and wind instruments on Cat’s Paw with i50 and i60
Raymarine instruments.  As noted in an ongoing thread, it is difficult to
remove the old depth transducer, so is it possible to use the old one with the
new Raymarine display?  The old transducer is for a Signet Scientific MK172
instrument, which is probably more than 12 years old but still works fine.  In
the manual, it states that “The transmitter produces six pulses per second at
an amplitude of 450 volts peak·to·peak with 63 watts of power output per pulse.
The high power output is obtained by charging a large capacitor to build a
large current flow without heavy drain from the external power source. The
frequency is adjustable from 160 to 200 kHz but is set at the factory for 200
kHz nominal.”  The transducer that came with the Raymarine instruments is an
Airmar P319, listed on the tag on its cable as 50/200 KHz. That transducer also
measures temperature, but I would be happy to forgo that if I didn’t have to
change the transducer.  Is there a way of testing if the old transducer works
with the new display while the boat is on the hard (for the winter)?  What
happens if you test a transducer when it is completely out of water?  Would it
harm the Raymarine instrument to be connected to the old transducer?

Eric Frank
Cat's Paw
C&C 35 Mk II
Mattapoisett, MA