Having worked for a forklift company that made a lot of container handling
equipment, I can tell you what I recall.

5 lost containers per ship is probably not a bad guess at the average. Although
it is not 5 containers off every ship, it is more the case of 100 containers
off every 20th ship or 200 off every 40th. Anyhow that represents a really
small percentage of containers shipped – maybe around 1 container lost is every
1 or 2 thousand shipped

Container do sink – eventually. It depends on what is in them. Containers of
hardware or machinery goes down in a few hours as the air leaks out (there are
actually vent holes in newer containers for this purpose). A container of
tennis balls or Christmas toys like dolls may float almost forever.

Better than 95% of container traffic is international – mostly full containers
from SE Asia (China, for example) to North America or Europe and empties going
back to be refilled. So most of the traffic is near shore when it approaches a
deep water port with a container terminal. Places like Boston, Jersey City,
Baltimore, Savannah, Miami, Long Beach, and Vancouver, and to a certain extent
Chicago and Toronto.. Shipping between locations inland is far cheaper by rail
or truck, so the container ports have intermodal hubs to handle transshipping
the containers to their final destination – like a warehouse or your local
Walmart store. Miami is a special case because a fair amount of container
traffic gets transferred to smaller vessels and to barges for delivery to the
various islands in the Caribbean.

Shipping costs are driving a trend to bigger and bigger ships and fewer and
deeper ports. I recall reading about a plan to launch a series of container
ships over 100,000 tons – bigger than an aircraft carrier. And there were plans
to build a MEGA container port on the west coast of Mexico than would reduce
shipping costs through high cost ports like Long Beach, Vancouver, and New
Orleans. Homeland Security and others were weighing in on the Mexican plans
because of concerns about a significant increase in cross border traffic, truck
traffic on existing roads in the Southwest, etc.

Anyway, the risk of hitting a container if you are a coastal cruiser are pretty
minimal. Unless you are in an area like SE Florida, the Chesapeake, or sail
well out  into the ocean off the entrance to a deep water port like Long Beach
or New York. Most of the lost container go into the water during severe storm
well out at sea.

Rick Brass

Washington, NC