Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2015 21:47:23 +0000
From: Martin DeYoung <mdeyo...@deyoungmfg.com>
To: "cnc-list@cnc-list.com" <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Subject: Re: Stus-List Folding props

> The time it takes between putting her into reverse and actually moving
> backward with flow over the rudder is what can take several seconds with a
> folder? If other things are happening nearby (current, wind, pilings, etc.),
> these few seconds can seem like a very long time!.

Back in the mid 70?s I was crewing on a C&C 39.  The local rock star sailmaker
was onboard for an event on Lake Washington related to Seattle Yacht Club?s
Opening Day parade.  A few adult beverages may have been consumed in the
process of crossing the lake to join a party at another competitor?s lake front
home.

When it was pointed out to the rock star he was pointing the 39?s bow into a
covered slip, he quickly hit reverse (A4 engine, Martec folding prop) and added
throttle.  With the standard delay in actually retarding the vessel?s forward
motion the 39?s forestay (Stearn?s twin stay IIRC) made a noticeable twanging
sound as it hit the metal roof over the slip.

It was hard to find the rock star at the party that afternoon.  Years later
that rock star became Calypso?s insurance agent.  I don?t think he ever forgot
how long it takes to reverse direction with a folding prop.

Martin DeYoung
Calypso
1971 C&C 43