In following this thread, and for the new owners out there....I recommend
taking a look at the C&C photo album specs; for many of the models, it seems
that the early designs used the external "strap" hinges which the first poster
asked about; then somewhere in the late 1970s or early 1980s, C&C quit using
external hinges and began using the piano hinges, thus accounting for the
differences in the specs...this is easy to spot if you go to the old
advertisements for any model,  (on the photo album)...there one can review the
photos and see whether the boat has strap hinges, or if no strap hinges are
showing, then presumably piano hinges;

In general, there is a wealth of knowledge to be gained from reviewing the old
ads; one can see the same ideas used in multiple designs, but tweaked or
adapted...its also your roadmap to why your boat sails as well as it does...the
emphasis is on performance, and then creature comforts..
I have often been amazed that the layout and interior designs for most all of
the models are traceable back to the first boats in the late 60s, early 70s...

...and a Merry and wonderful Christmas to all on the list!

Richard
1985 C&C 37; CB  Ohio River, Mile 596

Richard N. Bush
2950 Breckenridge Lane, Suite Nine