Happy New Year listers!

The recent thread on bilge pump switches and the back flow problems attendant
is of interest to me in another manner.

I’m just finishing up painting the bilge and will be planning a two bilge pump
installation to replace the original small single pump. The original 37’
electric bilge pump design routed a line from the pump near the base of the
mast step up to a tee in the starboard cockpit drain. Along with that line was
another, smaller,tee connection for the starboard deck scupper drain. The port
side had a similar set up just for the port scupper drain.  The “major” water
removal pump is the manual diaphragm pump in the cockpit next to the wheel.
Outside of the manual bilge pump, I have always hated the other systems.

My plan for the refit is to run a dedicated line from a new, large capacity,
electric bilge pump straight aft to a new through-hull in the stern counter,
just above (below?) the outflow for the current manual bilge discharge.  This
pump intake will be placed at a higher level and reserved for large amounts of
water in the bilge. The scupper drain lines and tees have been removed and
closed off.

My problem is what to do with the line from the current smaller bilge pump that
is used to remove the “regular” bilge water. Short of drilling yet another hole
in the stern counter, I will have to run it back to its existing tee on the
starboard cockpit drain.

Any different and novel layouts or ideas amongst the listers that might
alleviate this problem?

Best,
Dave Godwin
1982 C&C 37 - Ronin