Joel makes a good point.

The genoa sheets on my 38 are 7/16”. One set are StaSet, the other are a fuzzy
braid Dacron from Cajun Trading. My headsail is almost as much sail area as
your whole rig. So 7/16ths is bigger than you need. 3/8” StaSet or equivalent
would be better, and less expensive. Remember that you want a bit of stretch in
your sheets to ease the shock of sudden gusts. You might also want to think
about a synthetic line that floats. I think Yale makes a floating single braid
that is made of Dacron and synthetic like Dyneema called PHD Cruiser that might
be appropriate.

Your traveler leads are 4X length of the track plus 4 or 5 feet for a tail so
it can be adjusted. So 25-26 feet is probably about right. As Joel points out,
5/16ths will be easier on your hands and easier to grip. Since your traveler
line, at 4:1, will only have a couple hundred pounds of tension at most, an
inexpensive Yachtbraid will be fine.

Regarding the length of the sheets: 1.5 x LOA is a pretty good rule. One of my
sets is that length, and frankly I wish it was 5’ longer so there would be some
extra length for tailing. You LOA is 29.6’, so 44 or 45 feet is the recommended
length.

Let’s calculate what you need and see if you BF is right. Your J is almost 13’,
so the clew of your 155 is about 6 ½’ behind the mast.

You need 6.5’ to get forward to the mast,

6’ to get around the mast and shroud (remember it is the lazy sheet so you want
some slack)

About 18’ gets you to the turning block

Another 4’ to get up to the winch and take a couple of wraps

And another 8 feet or so as a cushion and to leave some length for tailing.

Total length, which is pretty much a minimum, is about 42.5’

So your BF is sorta right.

But get 45’ – or maybe even 50’ for the reasons previously listed by Dennis and
others on the list.

Rick Brass

Washington, NC