I switched the stanchion bases on my 38 a few years ago. I believe I used the
type C base from South Shore, which I see are up to $75 each now. At the time I
think they were less than $50, and the whole job cost about the $450 you
mentioned.

I did reuse one of the existing 5/16 machine screws in the toe rail on each of
the stanchion bases. The existing machine screws are more than long enough to
handle the added thickness of the base. I did have to mark and drill an
additional hole in the base of the toe rail & through the hull to deck joint
(which took a ¼-20x3” or 3 ½” machine screw plus fender washer for backing and
a Nylok nut), plus a hole in the vertical part of the toe rail for the (#10,
IIRC) screw that secures the base and locks in the stanchion. All told, it took
about 5 or 6 hours to do the installation, and it is a 2 man job to install the
bolts through the hull to deck joint.

My lifelines had enough adjustment in the toggles to reuse the old lifelines in
the new installation, but YMMV.

I’m happy I did the change for the following reasons:

It is amazing how much extra room you feel you have when going forward – even
though it is only about 5 inches on each side.

The hole for the stanchion is tilted inward, so the stanchions are vertical
but within the perimeter of the boat (someone else mentioned that they thought
the stanchions might be tilted out and catch on pilings, which I believe was a
problem with the 29-2, 33-2, and other models from the early 80s).

On my boat the vertical leg of the toe rail is on the inboard side of the rail,
so the stanchion base is on the outside of the rail. Water sheets aft and
drains a lot better than it ever did with the deck mounted stanchions.

And most importantly, the toe rail mounted bases seem to be stronger than the
deck mounted ones. I had to repair the deck and cracks in all the locations
where the deck mounted bases had been. Some were just cracks in the gelcoat,
but others were actual damage to the skin of the deck with resulting leaks into
the core. Refinishing the deck is also one of my projects for this coming
season – partly to make up for the unsightly spots left behind by the old
bases. With the new stanchion bases I don’t expect to see any future deck
repairs; at least in those areas.

Rick Brass

Washington, NC