Ryan,

The exterior of a boat building facility is rarely indicative of the quality of
the work that goes on inside.  Many Florida boat building facilities don’t even
have walls on the exteriors of the buildings (partially due to the heat, but I
think they feel that every time a hurricane comes through, they’re going to
lose the building so why bother with walls…).  It is also hard to keep a
facility looking “pretty” if you have to store hull and deck molds outside and
do wet layup of fiberglass indoors…

The boat building industry has suffered greatly during the upswings and
downturns of our economic climate over the past 50 years, from the booms of the
dawning of the fiberglass era, to the luxury tax disaster of the 1980’s and the
Great Recession of the last decade.  The number of domestic North American boat
manufacturers has been cut by 75% since 1980, both in the US and Canada.  If
you want a good insight on the industry as a whole, not just sailboat OEMs but
boat builders successful and not so successful, read Heart of Glass by Daniel
Spurr.   Dan has done quite a bit of research, especially on C&C Yachts rise
and fall, and he presents a good bit of information on how boatbuilding in
North America developed into the iconic industry of today.

It is very rough to get the right mix of design innovation, management and
financial skills, brand and customer loyalty, and a well-trained skilled
workforce all at the same time and keep the team together long enough to
withstand the ups and downs of the world economic issues.  I’m always amused
when a person tells me that sailboat builders will have a good year when oil
and gas prices go up.  Little do they know that the same oil is  used to make
the resins holding the boats together and the Dacron that goes into building
the sails and ropes.  When the price of oil goes up, EVERYTHING costs more and
only the very wealthy can afford luxury goods such as new sailing and motor
yachts.

Chuck Gilchrest

Half Magic

1975 25 Mk1