Echo Steve's comments. Firefly's A4 is 40 years old. Still reliable as hell.
Marvel Mystery Oil gets some of the credit  Mid-range fuel is better now that
there's no lead..

-----Original Message-----
From: "Stevan Plavsa via CnC-List" <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Sent: ‎2016-‎02-‎03 3:32 PM
To: "cnc-list@cnc-list.com" <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Cc: "Stevan Plavsa" <stevanpla...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Stus-List Made an offer on a C&C 35 mk2

An A4 does not a dealbreaker make.

I looked at the issue of A4 vs Diesel this way:

30 year old diesel or 30 old gasser.
The boats with the 30 year old diesel had about on average, a 5k markup over
their A4 brethren.

A 30 year old motor, is a 30 year old motor, is a 30 year old motor.

Gas or diesel, you're looking at replacement or rebuild in not too much time.
All kinds of things can be wrong with either. Choose one that's been well
maintained (gas OR diesel).

A4 parts are still very available and they are easy to work on. I know gas
engines, sort of, I don't know diesel at all having never wrenched on one. At
the end of the day it's a SAILboat. Do you want to be a mechanic? You might
need to be, because .... 30 year old motor. Mine is actually 35 years old now.

My boat was a good deal, the 1980 A4 in there was in about as good condition as
one could want. Being a freshwater boat all her life, RWC wasn't an issue for
me and it still isn't. If she had a diesel she would have cost me another 5k.
Again, to my mind, there's no value there.

I kind of love my A4. It's quiet! and it always works. On the odd time that it
doesn't, it's an easy fix: points, last time. Half an hour of digging around
the boat for the parts and install.

Oh yeah, and I picked up a whole spare "working pull" A4 for $300 bones. It's
taking up space in my garage. One day, when I'm retired, in like 50 years,
maybe I'll have time to rebuild it.

If you're really paranoid there's the issue of gasoline on the boat. i sniff
test the bilge before firing her up. That's worth 5k to me. Oh, and I keep the
motor happy with clean fuel, fresh fuel lines and filters, etc.

Cheers,
Steve

On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 1:31 PM, Della Barba, Joe via CnC-List