Real good questions. from what I gather fewer sometimes is better. That
being said I don't think the driver should anything but drive and direct
positions.
The tactician needs to focus. he can lose the race by simple missing a
start or a mark.

Racing:

   - Captain/Helm - overall commander and drives boat
   - Tactician - Usually next to captain. Decides course and calls manuvers
   - Mainsail Trimmer - Often the captain will handle this on a very small
   boat. Trims main.
   - Headsail trimmers - Trim and tack headsail. Often trim spinnaker too
   - Pit - On small boats often done by trimmers. controls hallyards and
   topping lift and downhaul
   - Mast - Jumps sails and handles spinnaker pole on symmetrical spinnaker
   boats
   - Bow - The poor bastard who rigs headsails, skirts headsails and is
   generally yelled at by everyone. Most important person on boat.

The ones in blue you can do without. If you are furled on your head-sail or
not,  you still need the position.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Capt, Curtis McDaniel

Dataw Island Marina

Harbor Master

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 12:49 AM, Randy Stafford via CnC-List <
cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'd welcome any opinions you might like to share on racing a 30-1.  As
> mentioned in the other thread on handicapping JAM boats, I have a choice of
> racing my (new to me) 30-1 in a spinnaker boat division or a non-spinnaker
> boat division (my boat is rigged for spinnaker).  We have ten-week series
> in my club, and I'd have to stay in one division for a whole series (but
> could switch divisions between series).  We also have occasional one and
> two-day weekend races in which I'd have to choose a division.
>
> From what I see in
> http://www.ussailing.org/wp-content/uploads/DARoot/Offshore/PHRF/2014%20PHRF%20Handicaps%20Data.pdf,
> it looks like a 30-1 usually gets a PHRF rating of 174, which would be the
> third-lowest rating in my club.  We've got a Capri-25 at 173, and an F-240s
> at 170.
>
> One of my questions is how many crew are advisable for racing a 30-1, with
> spinnaker or without.  On smaller boats (Capri-22s, J/22s, Merit 25s) we'd
> race and fly spinnaker with three crew - helm, trimmer, and foredeck.  A
> fourth could come in handy in heavy air.  I've gotten a couple indications
> that I should have maybe twice that number for a 30-1.  What are the
> typical crew positions on a 30-1?  If it makes any difference, my
> spinnakers have dousing socks.
>
> I race on a lake in Colorado.  The spinnaker division courses are upwind /
> downwind, and the non-spinnaker division courses are triangles.  We
> generally try to set courses so that races last 60-90 minutes.
> Weather-wise we have varied conditions from night to night.  Some nights
> are frickin' gusty, with Colorado afternoon and evening thunderstorms.
> Some nights are light air and we run out of beer before finishing :)
>  Several times a year we get really good conditions - a steady 15-20 kt.
> breeze in which everyone's at hull speed and and trying to stay in control
> and / or reduce weather helm.  Sea state is not really an issue, except for
> some powerboat wake and chop.
>
> If there were more light-air nights in a series than heavy-air nights,
> would a 30-1 perform better against its PRHF on a triangle course, or on an
> upwind / downwind course?  How many crew (some experienced, some not, all
> still reasonably agile) are needed to handle a 30-1 safely under spinnaker
> in gusty or heavy-air conditions?
>
> Thanks in advance for any opinions.
>
> Best Regards,
> Randy Stafford
> S/V Grenadine
> C&C 30 MK1 #7
> Ken Caryl, CO

*Best regards,*

*Capt,Curtis McDaniel*

*"At sea, I learned how little a person needs, not how much."470-313-0918*