Dave,

There should be no issue with your boat as I believe your boat’s steering is
configured much differently than Josh’s.  Your idler assembly is below deck
while Josh’s sits in a “well” along with the steering cables and radial wheel.
 The issue with the 37+ is that the pedestal bolt thread directly into nuts
that are held captive in the deck structure.  Because the idler basically sits
between the pedestal and the deck, the thickness of the idler plate was a huge
issue, to say nothing of the chamfer required around the edges to fit into the
confined spaces directly below the pedestal.

On your boat, even if there’s a slight difference on the plate thickness, it is
insignificant unless the radial wheel on the rudder post is less than 2-3 feet
from the idler sheaves.

As an aside, many folks seem to have issues with Edson’s use of a mild steel
idler plates on their boats.  In most cases, these steel plate idlers were
utilized as the strongest steel that could be used in a cost effective manner.
Discussions with Edson also reveal that other idler materials were offered to
C&C for use such as Bronze, but the cost was not acceptable to C&C thus their
choice of using a mild steel part.   In the case of the later model 37+, Edson
was not made aware of the deck design change that moved the idler and radial
above the deck.

I’m happy to say that despite having a boat that has spent its entire life in
salt water in New England, the mild steel plate idler on Orion, my 1983
Landfall 35,  looks and operates just like a brand new component, due to the
fact that it sits nice and dry behind the engine and water heater.