>… to hit the shaft with the slide-hammer, while it is still attached to the
>transmission (I hear that transmissions don’t like this).

Yes, most if not all transmissions / reduction gears are not designed for that
type of shock load on the output shaft.  I braced the coupling independent of
the output shaft.

Other softer surfaces to protect include the shaft log or seal.  Good hard
points to pull against include the engine mount beds/bolts.  Calypso has a lot
of space under the cockpit making much of this type of work more straight
forward.

Martin DeYoung
Calypso
1971 C&C 43