Bruce,

My boatyard says it puts a very heavy load on the alternator to charge both
house and starter batteries at the same time using the diesel.  Same if you
have two house batteries hooked up in parallel.  If you've installed a high
output alternator on your diesel or have alternate charging methods (shore
power battery charger, solar panel, etc.)  there's less issue, although I'm
of the understanding that batteries being charged together should be the
same capacity and relative age.

On my "new boat", it came with 2 group 31 (house) and one group 24 starter.
It has a Promarine charger that runs off 110 current.  The PO spent most of
the time hooked up to shore power and even had a Tenma 12v power source that
he could run the 12v circuit when he had access to 110v shore power.    I'm
going to be on a mooring and I'm being told that unless I can somehow
upgrade my charging system, It is a bad idea for me to have two Group 31
batteries in parallel as it will burn out the stock 35A alternator on the
Yanmar 3HM.  I'm buying new batteries so now is the time for a decision.
Will probably go with one Group 31 for the house and one Group 24 for the
starter.  There's a two battery switch on the bulkhead so I can assume the
second Group 31 was wired in parallel on the same switch.

I'm trying to avoid turning my lovely Landfall 35 into a Beverly Hillbillies
looking stern  (my wife insisted we buy davits) by adding wind generators,
solar panels along with all the other "essential" debris that clutters up a
cruising boat.   The boat has  12V refrigeration (OEM Waaco Cold Machine)
that would be wonderful to turn on occasionally to keep a few things cold
while cruising.  Does anyone out there charge a pair of Group 31 batteries
using the lower output alternator?

Chuck Gilchrest

Half Magic

1983 LF 35