Steve....I have a LF 38 and just installed a larger transducer (Raymarine
B60...Fishfinder - I wanted to see the bottom contours...but am willing to take
up fishing!  Plugged directly into my A97 MFD...) just forward of the keel.  I
found the hull solid at that point....I suspect that below the water line it
may be solid...maybe.  The gotcha I did find was that the thickness of the hull
was greated towards the centerline....than on the waterline side.  The
transducer fit flush on the outside, but, the gaskets on the inside did not fit
flush all the way around.  If/when I feel like loosening the but on the
transducer I will add some spacers along the waterline side the nut will spin
on and more equally hold the outside  edge of the transducer flush to the hull.
 Not this year.

Spencer Johnson
1984 LF38 "Alegria" #165
Wuakegan, IL,/ Racine, WI