Just a quick update as so many folks here have been helpful in this project.
The electronics upgrade continues and we’ve now completed the second milestone.
 We got the new instruments in last fall (ugly project) and just today
completed the chart plotter installation at the helm.  Hats off to Raymarine as
this stuff really is plug and play.  We thought the hardest part would be
running new wiring through the pedestal (and it was a bear) but that was
nothing compared to pulling out all the old wiring.  They seemed to love wire
ties, caulk and electrical tape and used all with abandon.  I was never overly
pleased with the electrical and/or wiring work on my Tartan built C&C so
yanking it all out was satisfying.  The built in GPS in the Ray A unit seems to
work well so I don’t see a need for an additional GPS head.

Next step is to resurrect the B&G autopilot and figure out to what extent I can
interface it with the chart plotter.  It’s a 15 year old pilot but works well
and I really don’t want to replace it. The B&G ram is a thing of beauty.  When
we removed all the old B&G instruments last fall we cut the AP head off from a
power source.  Apparently it’s not happy about that.  Will reinstall this week.
 I really like the clean look of the helm with just the plotter so I’m hoping
to find some other home for the AP head.  Just not sure how much control I can
have via the plotter with just a nmea 183 interface.  Will hook it all up and
see to what extent they talk to each other.

Hopefully the next update will be next weekend!

John

greatly appreciated!