I would think that "manually propelled" vessels form a different class of
vessels.  When two vessels belonging to different classes meet, the vessel
belonging to the more maneuverable class is the "give way" vessel. In general,
manually propelled vessels have minimal draft, and can therefor go where most
other vessels cannot. This imho would place manually propelled vessels at the
absolute bottom of the pecking order and be required to give way to all other
classes of vessels.  While I am always courteous and careful around them, they
do irritate me hugely when they insist in sticking to the middle of a channel!

--
Jonathan
Indigo C&C 35III

> On Jun 7, 2016, at 20:46, Dennis C. via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
> wrote:
>
> Saw a post on a local yacht club board this week.  Seems a sailboat was
> approaching a group of stand up paddle boarders (SUP's).  Sailor didn't know
> who had ROW.  As he went by the SUP's, he asked them.  They didn't know
> either.
>
> With the exception of required lights, the rules seem to be minimal on
> situations with oared craft such as dinghies, SUP's, kayaks, canoes, etc.
> The Admiral and I rarely put the outboard on our dinghy.  We just row ashore
> or to neighboring boats.
>
> Here's some vague guidance:  from navcen.uscg.gov:
>
> "13. Where do Kayaks and Canoes fit into the Navigation Rules? Neither the
> International nor Inland Navigation Rules address "kayaks" or "canoes" per
> se, except in regards to "vessels under oars" in Rule 25 regarding lights.
> One could infer that a "vessel under oars" should be treated as a "sailing
> vessel" since it is permitted to display the same lights as one, but,
> ultimately the issue of whom "gives way" would fall to what would be
> "required by the ordinary practice of seamen, or by the special circumstances
> of the case" (Rule 2)." Source:
> http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=navRulesFAQ#0.3_13
>
> Interesting topic.  What say you?
>
> Dennis C.
> Touche' 35-1 #83
> Mandeville, LA

> This list is supported by the generous donations of our members. If you like
> what we do, please help us pay for our costs by donating. All Contributions
> are greatly appreciated!

greatly appreciated!