If able, measure the old line you cut off to get a rough idea of how much
line to buy. Total up the pieces. Then raise the sail with no new line
around the drum. Roll up the sail by hand again with no line attached to
the drum. Now attach the new line to the drum with the sail fully furled.
Add 2 rolls by hand. Now unfurl the sail as usual and this will wind the
new line on the drum. Cut the tail if necessary to the desired length.

Ed
C&C 34 Briar Patch
New Orleans

On Saturday, June 11, 2016, Edd Schillay via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
wrote:

> Listers,
>
> My roller furling line got ultra-tangled in the drum and I ended up having
> to drop the headsail and cut it all out.
>
> I bought some new line and am going to install tomorrow, weather
> permitting.
>
> So here's the question. How many feet of line should I have wrapped around
> the drum before putting the sail back on?
>
> I'm running with a 135% headsail, but want to have enough on there to
> accommodate a 150, if I ever make a change.
>

> All the best,
>
> Edd
>
> -------------------------------
> Edd M. Schillay