Hi Edd,

Yes, we're lake sailors here in Colorado :) Have a look at my photo album at
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-NqAxQ6JxFTY0VBM2hlT0hveDQ and you can see
the lake I sail on. But we get to the Caribbean, Gulf, and Pacific whenever we
can :)

There's actually quite a healthy sailing scene here, with racing yacht clubs at
Chatfield, Cherry Creek, and Dillon Reservoirs, and at Carter Lake. The racing
at Dillon in particular is very competitive (and the mountain winds pretty
violent). The scene may be vibrant here precisely because there are so few
suitable bodies of water for keelboats, serving a pretty large urban corridor
and population base.

All that said, I just finished an analysis of participation in my club's
keelboat series by year since 2012. We had 37 boats in 2012, and have
alternated between 31 and 25 ever since. So yeah, a 33% decline in five years.
Causes include people getting old, people moving, people too busy with other
things, and probably people not wanting to spend the money any more. We've had
good luck finding people to crew by starting a meetup group. Of course we get a
variety of experience levels, but it's been a good way to find new people
interested in sailing around here.

Cheers,
Randy