Sounds like a good solution.  To get the same effect at the dock, you could
probably run a line (jib sheet might be a good candidate) between the two
winches and tighten it up just enough to hold them in place.

Sam
35-3 Scoundrel (f/k/a Spanish Dancer)
SF

On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 5:53 AM, robert via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
wrote:

> Yesterday, I discovered a simple way to loosen really tight (possibly
> seized) Allen screw(s) in my Barient 22 B model winches....I thought about
> attempting it on the mooring but it was too hot and too nice a day to waste
> servicing winches that were not preventing me from sailing.  I soaked both
> screws with Liquid Wrench and went sailing.
>
> Later in the afternoon, my 135% sheeted close hauled in 12 knts true, the
> winch looked pretty 'locked up' so I went below and got my 3/16" Allen key
> and with a twist, the Allen screw turned.   Tacked, and the port screw
> loosened.
>
> A strap wrench would be a useful tool to have for this purpose....I have
> one.....thought it was on the boat but can't find it.
>
> Not as nice a sailing day here today.....my winches might get serviced.
>
> Rob Abbott
> AZURA
> C&C 32 - 84
> Halifax, N.S.

> like what we do, please help us pay for our costs by donating. All
> Contributions are greatly appreciated!

greatly appreciated!