Astute observation, Francois. The 1,2, and 3 cylinder Yanmars seem to have
consistent problems with the exhaust mixing elbow getting clogged by carbon
deposits where the cooling water is injected into the elbow. And it is not a
salt water problem.

A friend's 29-2 with a 2GMF15 was completely blocked and pumping no water at
all when we went to start the boat just 2 weeks after an oil change this
spring. We started diagnosing the problem at the raw water strainer and
worked through the cooling system from front to back. Should have started
with the exhaust elbow. Who would think it would clog up in the first place?

A friend who is a diesel mechanic with a Yanmar engine in his J Boat says
that you should remove and clean the elbow once a year or with every oil
change. It's one of the reasons he keeps talking about replacing his Yanmar
with a low hour Beta he happens to have in his shop.

Rick Brass

Washington, NC