From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Hoyt, Mike
via CnC-List
Sent: Friday, August 26, 2016 8:37 AM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: Hoyt, Mike
Subject: Re: Stus-List Possible upgrade to a C&C 36 - now also landfall 38

Our former port had 2.5 feet to get in channel at moon low tide.  We sailed for
years with Hinterhoeller Niagara 26 at 4' draft and then for a bunch more years
with J27 at 4.9 foot draft.  That same marina had a C&C 99 (5.5ft) for years
and currently has a C&C 34, a C&C 35-1, a C&C 35-3 and a number of the C&C30s.
We visited this summer with current boat (6.25 ft).  So long as you pay
attention to the tides it is not an issue.  The C&C 30 with its shallow keel
seems very well suited to the area as it only draws 5' and the keel shape is
good for bouncing over objects ....

As to the 1981 C&C 36?  Our family bought the standard keel 1981 model new in
Fall 1980 and had it for 9 seasons.  The interior is very similar to the C&C
35-3.  A big feature was standing headroom for my 6'3" father and bunks for 6
(we had a large family).  We never found the boat particularly tender but then
we did not sail on many other mid 30 foot boats at the time so did not have a
frame of reference.  Compared to our later Niagara 26 I would call the 36
stiff.  I always thought it was a wonderful boat and our thinking at the time
it was discontinued for the 35-3 was that the 29-2, 35-3 and 27-V replaced the
larger 30, 36 and 27-4 as a way to sell a less expensive boat to the same
market.

All these old boats are good but they are indeed old.  I would suggest you find
the one with the best access to engine and most comfortable interior combined
with evidence it has been much loved over its life (new sails, instruments,
cushions etc ....).  These boats we are discussing are all ancient and the
engines will require constant maintenance and repair.  Our 3GM30F on or Frers
33 is jammed into an extremely small area with horrible access and yet I have
been forced to work on or around it a number of times over the past 3 seasons.
OTOH the sail inventory is quite new as are the instruments, windows and many
other features that tell me that each of the previous 3 owners lavished the
boat and this attention would cover all aspects of its maintenance

Mike
Persistence
1987 Frers 33
Halifax, NS