I would think a decent local hydraulics shop would be able to at least help
diagnose the drive, if not fix it outright.  All they need to drive it is a
12-volt car battery.

Yes, you could interface a wheel drive to the ACU; but the current Raymarine
wheel drive is rated to a maximum displacement of 16.500 lbs, and the 37+ specs
say it weighs 16,000 lbs, which I imagine is conservative.  I wouldn’t expect a
drive that close to maximum ratings to survive very long, or work well in big
waves.

— Fred

Fred Street -- Minneapolis

> On Sep 1, 2016, at 11:11 AM, Edd Schillay via CnC-List
> <cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:
>
> Listers,
>
> All this talk of autopilots has me back to my issues. After a refill and
> rewire, I do hear the Octopus pump clicking on and off, and I hear it trying
> to work, but no joy in getting the wheel to move. So, i think my many
> year-old pump and/or my drive unit needs to be fixed (bad seal?).
>
> If I were to undertake the major job of disconnecting it all from the boat
> and quadrant, does anyone know of a repair shop in the Northeast US? Shipping
> it all to Octopus in Canada seems almost prohibitive ($$$).
>
> I noticed online that I can obtain wheel-drive units for around $500 and
> connect those drive wires to the drive connections on the ACU — and I wonder,
> though not as attractive, if that is a cost effective alternate solution, Any
> thoughts or warnings greatly appreciated. (You’re up, Street!)
>
> While this year seems like a lost cause, I want to have this all working by
> Spring launch 2017.
>
> All the best,
>
> Edd
>

> Edd M. Schillay
> Starship Enterprise
> C&C 37+ | Sail No: NCC-1701-B
> City Island, NY
> Starship Enterprise's Captain's Log <http://enterpriseb.blogspot.com/>

> This list is supported by the generous donations of our members. If you like
> what we do, please help us pay for our costs by donating. All Contributions
> are greatly appreciated!

greatly appreciated!