OK, my cheeky tabloid headline was more provocative than I expected!

This locked down approach is indeed the historic norm, but today it is not
industry-wide, and it is changing fast.  Another example of disruptive
technologies reshaping an industry, and the industry trying to (or trying
not to) adapt..  <insert lengthy discussion about industry "standards">
For my part, I am far more fascinated than I am angry, its interesting, and
a moment in time in an industry.

Will check Furuno later, (might have been ICOM), I did this quickly and did
not save what I found.   Navico I already posted - needs a cable, software,
PC, and Garmin looks like it needs a chartplotter.

Compared to my '80s B&G hunter stuff, my Raymarine i70 multifunction
instrument is amazing.   I'm starting to realize though, that it
is simply a dumbed-down ruggedized ipod touch with a senior-friendly user
interface that can run only one app.   Forever.   ;-)    Ooops, provocative
again!

All playfulness and side debates aside, if the new normal is that software
updates are part of ownership, hardware ownership should not come with
undisclosed hidden costs.

Dave

Message: 2