After all the messages recently posted by listers, I found a stack of free boooklets provided by the US Department of Homeland Security at our local Maritime Museum. The form number is 2010-361-210. It provides all the "legal" answers to the questions posed.

One distinction I didn't recall seeing during the recent discussions is the size of the boat. For example, is your boat is less than 20 meters long, it is not required to display an anchor light in a "special anchorage". And, if it is less than 12 meters (39.4 feet), you do not need the conical shape while motoring.

Just some more stuff to keep you reading.

Gary (less than 12 meters)

On Mon, 19 Sep 2016 07:10:51 -0400
Marek Dziedzic via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:
If I am not mistaken, only on “designated anchorages” (and then you don’t need the light either)

Marek

From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Josh Muckley via CnC-List
Sent: Monday, September 19, 2016 05:20
To: C&C List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Cc: Josh Muckley <muckl...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Stus-List Electrical Question

Re: anchor balls. I'm not saying that its not a good idea but I thought that the requirements for anchor dayshapes and lights was eliminated while in a charted anchorage or in a mooring field. Or is it just while on s mooring? Or am I just mistaken altogether?

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+
Solomons, MD