Hi Dave,

Ram mounts are great.  A word of caution regarding direct sunlight, a friend of
mine installed a similar RAM setup for an iPad mini.  He added a nice 12V power
junction at the helm to provide power to the iPad.  It looked great and was
working fine.  But there is a big problem with these devices quickly
overheating in direct sunlight and shutting down with the message “iPad needs
to cool down before you can use it.”.

Draping a cloth over the iPad helps to keep it from overheating, but if you
have a Bimini top this may not be a problem.  My friend is back using his
iPhone for sailing on nice sunny days.

-
Paul E.
1981 C&C 38 Landfall
S/V Johanna Rose
Carrabelle, FL

http://svjohannarose.blogspot.com/

> On Sep 26, 2016, at 11:09 AM, cnc-list-requ...@cnc-list.com wrote:
>
> Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2016 22:02:12 -0400
> From: Dave S <syerd...@gmail.com <mailto:syerd...@gmail.com>>
> To: "C&c Stus List" <cnc-list@cnc-list.com <mailto:cnc-list@cnc-list.com>>
> Subject: Re: Stus-List Open CPN (phorvati .)
>
> I shot some pics of my helm with RAM/lifeproof mount and iPad
> multi-multi-function display.
> No issues with adequate brightness in daylight (it is under the bimini
> though) and seems plenty rugged.
>
> http://cncwindstar.blogspot.ca/2016/09/electronics-what-to-do.html
> <http://cncwindstar.blogspot.ca/2016/09/electronics-what-to-do.html>
>
> I have played with OPENCPN in its linux and windows versions and I like it
> - the plug ins are cool too.   This may be my next step.  I have read that
> a logitech track ball works well as an interface but cannot vouch for this.
>
> Dave

greatly appreciated!