Tom, As long as you didn't defrost with a sharp knife and the compressor fan is
clean it should run well (unless the board is fried). Mine had a leak and it
only takes about 1.1 ounces to refill and it's easily over filled so best to
vacuum out and weigh the new charge in. Like Josh says check wiring too. I was
able to refill mine and install a new computer fan to get a couple more years
out of it but replaced it with a new unit this summer. The new unit is modern
refrigerant and has an adjustable output. It uses less power too. The old one
was 1990s vintage and used R12 which isn't environmentally friendly. If you can
send it to nova kool for a cheap rebuild, it may last longer than fixing it
yourself but you can't keep bending the copper tubing. If your compressor is
located where mine is under the aft cabin wet locker, you need to lose the heat
and cold beer is important! IMHO installing a new unit is 10x the cost of
repairing the old one but well worth it. Ask yourself what you w
 ould do if it was in your own kitchen at home. It doesn't owe you anything by
now and you can't buy parts for that vintage any longer. I think it was 1100$
CDN so what's that $15 USD? Lol.
Len Mitchell
Crazy Legs
1989 37+