Hi, Mike — no, I highly doubt there will be any kind of upgrade path to allow
the GX2200 to transmit.  That takes a bunch more electronics, and also a lot of
FCC certification.  If you look at the new VHF/AIS transceiver, it’s actually
got TWO antenna connections on the back; one for VHF and one for AIS.  That
would be tough to add to the GX2200…   :^)

— Fred

Fred Street -- Minneapolis