The only problem with sailing that late in the winter season is that it's
the beginning of the winter storms. The Pineapple Express gives you strong
winds out of the Southwest. The best time for the trip is late September /
October. So take a very good look at the weather forecast and plan
accordingly.

Take the trip in small steps, say Santa Cruz / Monterrey first stop, next
Santa Barbara ( go well offshore around Point Conception as already advised
- not a good place to get into trouble!). Doubt of Santa Barbara should be
fine.

Ian Matthew,
"Siento el Viento"  C&C 29-1
San Francisco Bay