FWIW, In our area, any boat with a strut has a zinc forward of the cutless
bearing.  An engine guy advised me to leave a good 1 inch gap between the zinc
and the bearing to allow for movement caused by engine thrust and to help water
to lubricate the bronze bearing.  Full keeled boats or boats without an exposed
prop shaft, get a zinc installed in front of the prop.   There isn't enough
shaft between the strut and the prop to mount a zinc on our 34R.

Chuck
Resolute
1990 C&C 34R
Broad Creek, Magothy River, Md