Thanks to everyone for all for the responses.  And yes, this is not a
replacement for my dedicated Garmin plotter, but rather a
supplemental/multi-use unit.  I'm leaning towards buying an inexpensive
Android tablet like Acer or the Dell Marek runs... I just can't stomach
shelling out the cash for another ipad.  Maybe a really solid
military-grade case is in order as well...

Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2016 02:27:45 +0000
> From: Marek Dziedzic <dziedzi...@hotmail.com>
> To: "cnc-list@cnc-list.com" <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
> Subject: Re: Stus-List Best new tablet for nav/general use

> I do not believe that a tablet of any kind is a good enough navigation
> instrument (I have a Garmin 720 and I trust it much more (I can see the
> screen in full sunlight without problems, it is completely waterproof and
> can operate it with keys (not touch)), but I find that if you want a
tablet
> for anything you are much better off with a low cost ( I don't necessarily
> mean cheap) tablet that you can use as disposable. I had very good success
> with a Dell Venue Pro (Windows), an Acer (also Windows) and an ASUS
Android
> one. I also find that the 7-8 inch tablets are much less prone to
shattering
> problems (they are simply much easier to handle and they have a size that
is
> much better for keeping in one's hand). The cost can be as low as just
> around $100 (8" Android) or around $200 for an 8" Windows. For that money
> you can break 3 and buy the 4th and you just come about to the cost of the
> Surface Pro or worse yet to the cost of a cheap iPad.
>
> None of the generally available tablets is waterproof or even hardened,
so I
> would not use it in the cockpit where it might be subjected to water
damage.

> If you want a keyboard, you can easily buy a BT keyboard for under $30.
Add