From: "Mike via CnC-List Hoyt" <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
To: "cnc-list" <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Cc: "Mike Hoyt" <mike.h...@impgroup.com>
Sent: Monday, November 28, 2016 7:01:14 AM
Subject: Re: Stus-List Buckled Topsides at the Chainplates (was Re: Brokers and
surveyors)

Randy

At our previous club (Barrachois Harbour Yacht Club) one of our members and the
founder of the marina was a former boat builder and was at the time buying and
bringing boats to the marina for resale (smart way to fill a new marina). As a
boat builder Dana would refurbish most of the boats prior to reselling them.
Usually this included rebidding of chainplates, often recoring the deck in that
area and sometimes even repainting the topsides (usually Awlgrip if I remember
correctly). The favourite boat for Dana to bring in was the C&C 30-1 although
there were also Aloha 27s, C&C 27-3 and even a couple Niagara 26 and a C&C25 or
2. Dana noticed the dimpling on just about every C&C30. His opinion was that it
occurs from tensioning the rig tightly (shrouds). When refinishing topsides he
normally had to fill these dimples to make the finished painted product look as
it should to his satisfaction.

A funny side note to this story. The one C&C 30 that they decided to keep as
their own was briefly considered to be renamed “Spray Nine”. Dana had painted
the boat once (three coats) and was not completely satisfied. He repainted the
boat again and then a third or fourth time. Eventually using 9 coats in total
before he was finally satisfied. This 1979 C&C 30 was immaculate. It is now
known as Fly by Wire and still looks fantastic. (with no dimples)

Mike

Persistence

Halifax