My 30 year old Signet Marine depth and speed instruments have never failed.
They still sell them and they're rock solid.  www.signetmarine.com/.  I suspect
you may have water in your cables that is eventually penetrating the impeller.
 As to modern the Airmar looks good and is nmea 2000.  Jerry J&J

Airmar ST850 Smart Sensor NMEA 2000

Product ID: AM1110-30         MFG ID: ST850-N2
Airmar ST850 Smart Sensor feature embedded micro-electronics. Speed and
temperature signals are processed inside the sensor and can be displayed on any
radar,chart plotter, or device that accepts NMEA 2000 data.
Availability: Usually ships within 24 hours

MSRP/MAP Price $242.73

Our Price
$208.95

Select ST850 Option: