Thanks Rick - good to hear some AF will get in even if thermostat isn't
open.  My mechanic is the one who recommended the technique I've used.  He
told me to pour the AF in until I smelled it out of the exhaust after
warming up the engine.

I'm 100% positive the engine is a Y2QM20H although not positive it's
original, I just assume that.  The boat is a 78 C&C34-1.  I should check
the C&C manual which is on the boat to see if it mentions the engine.