Adam, there is nothing like good foul weather gear if you've suffered
through the cheap ones.  After years of using cheap foulies, they don't call
them WetSkins for nothing, I bought a set of Gill GoreTex coastal gear from
their clearance centre in the USA.  What a difference, 6+ hours in the rain
and I was still dry.  When I moved out to Halifax I bought a set of Henry
Lloyd GoreTex gear on sale at The Binnacle as a back-up set.  GoreTex or one
of the current high tech fabrics is the way to go.  My Gill gear is 13 or 14
years old and still look like new, the Henry Lloyd gear is about 8 or 9
years old and looks new too.  They stayed on the boat all season and I wash
then at the end of each year.  I have used the Henry Lloyd
cleaner/waterproofing kits and the Grainger's G-Line care kits (both 2 oz
cleaner & 2 oz water proofer) from The Binnacle with great results.  Now I
have the NIKWAX cleaner and water proofing system, 10 oz bottles, that you
can get at MEC in down town Halifax.  I also recommend a pair of Salopettes
instead of bib bottoms, they are much more comfortable to wear and you don't
have to fight with shoulder straps slipping off all the time.  The Binnacle
is the best place in the area to get what you need.  Check their on line
store to see if you see anything you like then drop into the store, you want
to be able to try them on because every manufacturer's sizes are a little
bit different.  Sometimes you can get a deal on EBay but you tack your
chances.  I bought a Musto offshore jacket for my son that was like new and
will probably last him the rest of his sailing life.  Musto quality is
amazing, much better made than the Gill or HL gear.  One thing to remember
with the high tech fabrics; don't use regular soap, use the cleaning kits
and it's the heat of the dryer that activates/re-activates the
waterproofing.

Happy New Year

Rick Taillieu
Shearwater Yacht Club