http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/rebedding_hardware

This guy is is a bit of a scientist. he does real world experiments and bases his opinions on his findings. Whenever I have to tackle a new project, I go to his site to see if he's done a write up first. Lots of photos and insights and pros and cons to all his recommendations. I have never been disappointed following his techniques.

Danny

On 1/30/2017 8:31 AM, Nauset Beach via CnC-List wrote:

Randy,

When I rebed my chainplates 2 years ago – had to dig out the wet balsa and replace with epoxy using the chainplates wrapped in wax paper as plugs / forms – found the chainplates themselves were quite corroded on the back side which was against the bulkhead. Several of the stainless bolts were severely rusted and the chainplates had tiny cracks fully through the metal at the bolt holes. Had new chainplates fabricated.

As you are in fresh water it may not be as much of an issue, but if your boat lived much of its life in saltwater previously, there may be damage to the metal. Make sure you closely examine the chainplates for any corrosion!

Brian

*From:*CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] *On Behalf Of *RANDY via CnC-List
*Sent:* Sunday, January 29, 2017 10:05 PM
*To:* cnc-list <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
*Cc:* RANDY <randy.staff...@comcast.net>
*Subject:* Re: Stus-List Deck Coring Around Chainplates

Thanks Dennis (and Gary and Sam). Let me see where I stand on Tuesday - I may be ready to epoxy if I can do the bent nail and acetone thing tomorrow. Let's call or text on Tuesday.

Gary - my chainplate covers are aluminum and still in good shape, just needed a really good cleaning (probably 44 years' worth of various sealant jobs built up on their undersides).

Sam - yes my chainplates bolt to fiberglass "knees" tabbed to the hull. And the chainplates and knees are in good shape - no sign of weakening from exposure to moisture. I just want to make sure I do a proper job of sealing it all up so I don't get more coring in the deck going forward. Unfortunately it looks like my boat's previous owners didn't do a proper job (e.g. per Don Casey's prescriptions) of keeping this area sealed, and a little bit of coring occurred. The starboard side was all gooped up with clear silicone, and the port side had an ineffective bead of white caulk around the edge of the cover, and both sides had hard-as-rock probably original white-colored sealant under those other sealants.

I'll be using polysulfide (Life Caulk) per Don Casey for the re-bedding sealant.

Cheers,

Randy