The Allen screws in the cutlass bearing are set screws.  You don't grease
the cutlass bearing.

>From the Max-Prop owner's manual:  To grease the Max-prop, remove the
forward most set screw from the spinner using a #3 metric Allen wrench.
Screw in a zerc tower, attach your grease gun and fill the propeller with
grease until the grease starts to come out between the hub and the
spinner.  Replace the set screw and remove the set screw from the more aft
hole.  Reinstall the zerc tower, attach your grease gun and fill the
propeller with grease until the grease starts to come out between the
blades and the spinner,  Remove the zerc tower and reinsert the set screw
into the propeller.  Do not leave the zerc tower in the propeller.

With each pump of the grease gun, rotate the propeller forward to reverse
to allow the grease to work through the propeller.  The company recommends
Lubriplate 130AA grease.

*DO NOT USE TEFLON GREASE, AS IT WILL WASH OUT VERY QUICKLY.*
Alan Bergen
35 Mk III Thirsty
Rose City YC
Portland, OR

On Sat, Apr 15, 2017 at 7:47 AM, Larry via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
wrote:

> I hope this is not a stupid question
>
> I am 4 years new to sailing. I own a 1986 38-ft CnC.
>
> I decided to paint the bottom of my boat, change the zincs and lube the
> maxi prop myself this year. I noticed that the cutlass bearing has four
> allens screws that look exactly like the screws in the maxi prop. I was
> wondering does the cutlass get greased. The zerk fitting will screw right
> in the cutlass housing. A friend that has over 40 years sailing experience
> did not know. He said give it a try. I am not sure that is the best
> approach. So am turning to cnc-list. Any and all advice is welcome.
>
> Thanks

> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.
> paypal.me_stumurray&d=DwICAg&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN
> 0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=9w3G7Cf8YfQnrjmtuNxwDJYr3JMv9f1pAfgAJ9xXYQQ&m=
> rucRRzgyv75fgVpKpflc2GHt_YJl0FQDYkXCm2P-6y8&s=95OSv6RJRd_
> ptDg9HZVePIkI8ClEnotVshqH-TbxGL0&e=

Alan Bergen
35 Mk III Thirsty
Rose City YC