Thanks for the helpful replies.  I do have a rigid vang supporting the boom, so
that is not a problem.  Once the sail is down and we are on the mooring, I also
carry the main halyard aft and attach it to where the topping lift used to
attach.  From your inputs so far, it sounds like 4 lines is overkill. When
aboard overnight, I leave the lazy jacks attached to the boom, so they don’t
make noise knocking against the mast, and because they are not supporting the
boom (rigid vang + main halyard as a topping lift), I plan to leave them
attached to the boom.

Eric Frank
Cat's Paw
C&C 35 Mk II