Just my $.02 worth, and for a different C&C...  We had a C&C 27 MKIII (which is
the taller rig) on Lake Michigan for 16 great years.  The boat came with a 100
and a 150.  We cruise, rather than race, but I always liked tweaking for speed.
 So, for summer sailing on Lake Michigan where decent sailing ran when the
winds are between 9 - 15 kts and 12 is ideal, it was really easy to overpower
the boat with the 150.  And, I really felt the loss of pointing ability.  The
100 pointed better, but the closer the wind got to 9, I really felt the boat
slow down.

I had a 120 made, and loved it.  I rarely felt like the 150 would have gotten
me going much faster, the boat still pointed well, and I pretty consistently
sailed at 6.4 knots and on a good day could maintain sustained 6.9 - 7.1 on a
beam reach (apparent).

Those were hanked on sails, so rolling it up wasn't an option.  We did, however
keep the jib hanked on in a long bag hanging on the lifelines on the bow for
quick deployment.

Once I put the 120 on, I never looked back, and never changed the sails again.
Just my (albeit lazy) approach.
Kindest Regards,

Bruce Whitmore

(847) 404-5092 (mobile)