Hi Don

We redid our rudder a few years ago.  Crawled into stern, loosened quadrant,
cables, etc.  Dropped it, sawed off the skins both sides, about 4 inches in
from the edge.  The rudder is built with a frame of solid glass edging all
around of at least 4 inches – tapping will tell you where.  The exception is in
the bottom at mid point the edge indents so there is minimal frame and only
skin.  This is where any drainage hole needs to be.

Used a dremel to dig out a channel where the stainless rudder post enters the
rudder – this is where the water gets in.  We dug out all the deteriorated old
foam, basically the lower half, left the good stuff in place.  Shaped the foam.
 Beveled edges of frame.  Applied several layers of glass with epoxy.  Barrier
coat, paint, good to go

John and Maryann

Legacy III

1982 C&C 34