I need to put in my two cents. Many years ago we had a Newport 27 with a depth
sounder mounted on a hinged arm. The mount was inside the cabin but could be
swung out so the display was in the center of the companionway. Because the
unit was mounted on a plate that swiveled it could be viewed from below or from
the cockpit. This unit was custom made by the prior owner but I have seen
similar units available commercially. In this case the wiring was just lead
along the arm and was always secure no matter what the position of the depth
finder. The only draw back was that you had to swing the unit out of the way to
go up or down the ladder. If I were in your situation now I would use this
solution. Actually, I have given it some thought for my small chart plotter/GPS
but I'm so addicted to paper charts that I seldom use the electronic except as
a backup.
Dave.
C&C 33 SLY
PS I just saw Dennis C and Mathew's responses which puts my thoughts in one
short sentence.
Sent from my iPad