My raw water strainer is deep inside the engine compartment and too inaccessible to easily pour antifreeze into it.

I put a 5 gallon bucket in the cockpit with 2 gallons of antifreeze (50% - 50%) in it.....disconnect the raw water intake hose from water pump......connect a hose from the bucket to the water pump, start the engine and suck the antifreeze through until I see it exiting the thru hull at the transom....shut the engine down. Disconnect the bucket hose and reconnect the water water hose to the pump. Pour any remaining antifreeze in the bucket into the head. It's a one person task.

My boat is on the 'hard' when I do this......if it was in the water, I would simply close the raw water intake thru hull first.

Rob Abbott
AZURA
C&C 32 - 84
Halifax, N.S.

On 2017-08-05 9:47 AM, Ron Ricci via CnC-List wrote:

Each year, I struggle with pulling a hose off my raw water strainer to flush anti-freeze through the system. I’ve considered installing a tee in the line. Recently I came across an adaptor (Sea Flush) that fits in the top of most any raw water strainer but it didn’t look like there was enough vertical clearance. There is an adaptor for a Groco strainer but my C&C 37+ with a Yanmar 3HM35F appears to have a Perko 0493 Size 5 strainer. I contacted Perko who indicated that I could convert my 0493 strainer to a 0593 model which has a flush valve and hose connection on the top. Unfortunately, it looks like I’d need about $250 worth of parts to make this work. I’ve heard that a second cap for the strainer could be modified by installing a hose fitting. The cap costs about $35.

I’m curious what other listers have done and if I’m right on the strainer model #.

Regards,

/Ron/

Ron Ricci

S/V Patriot