From: Patrick Davin [mailto:jda...@gmail.com]
Sent: August-10-17 3:44 PM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Subject: Stus-List Can't close the v-berth door

I've had this (minor) issue over a year where we can't fully close the v-berth
door on our Landfall 38.

At first I thought it was just due to heat expansion of the wood in the summer,
but it started roughly after I tightened the main shrouds a couple turns (due
to masthead fall off in higher winds). And this winter when I had the mast out
for rerig I noticed the v-berth door closed fine.

Is this just normal flex for C&C's?  Anyone else had this issue?

It's binding at the door jamb and the lower right half of the door. I tried to
check the bulkhead to hull and deck joints, but it's hard to inspect those much
since they're covered by a permanent liner.

Releasing backstay tension doesn't help. So I suspect it's the fwd lowers or
main shrouds that flex the hull the tiny amount needed to squeeze the door
frame. I double checked that the tie rods are adequately tensioned and there's
no upward inflexion of the deck at the U-bolts.

The only thing I can think to do would be to sand down the lower half of the
door edge and revarnish it.

-Patrick

1984 C&C Landfall 38

Seattle, WA