Is this a 30 MK1? If yes, on this boat the chain plate is attached to the
"knee" and the knee is heavily glassed to the hull. What you see on the bottom
is just a shelf which goes around the knee and doesn't provide any significant
structural support. The knee continues though the shelf and ends few inches
under. You can't see this on the port side due to the wood paneling (I have
built a removable door on mine so I can inspect it) but you should be able to
see it on the starboard side if you remove the cushions. When the knee starts
to separate from the hull, it usually starts from the bottom where glasses mats
overlap which you should be able to see...

Cheers,
Aaron
Admiral Maggie
79 30-1
Annapolis, MD

On Aug 13, 2017, at 1:35 PM, Chris Hobson via CnC-List

Discovered a crack on the portside inside the cabin where the chainplate
attaches to the fibreglass hull/deck support. Not sure if this is structural or
cosmetic. Had someone jump up and down on the portside deck forward and aft of
the shrouds to see if there was any movement. Didn’t see any. Have a look at
the photos:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B_lwczpvPcEHeE5nY0VTYlJ3Z0U?usp=sharing

Chris Hobson
S/V Going